In Part 1 of my best/worst products of 2016, I covered purple shampoo, mascara, foundation, every day S&C, and hair serum. All staples in your shower or on your make up counter. Here is Part Deux, completing my top 10 of 2016.
5. Cleanser: needs no explanation. You have to wash your face! I’m such a hypocrite because I only started washing my face regularly in my 30s, but, anyway….
Dislike: Malin + Goetz Grapefruit Cleanser – despite the fresh invigorating scent, it left my face dry and tight. It stripped out too much. Is that possible?!
Like: Rodan + Fields Redefine Daily Cleansing Mask – Their 3 step, twice a day REDEFINE system is EVERYTHING, but the cleanser is insane. Light exfoliation, amazing fragrance, my skin is left soft and buffed. GO GET THIS NOW. I literally cannot wait to wash my face, and that’s very weird for me.
6. Dry Shampoo: adds texture, soaks up day 3 excess scalp oil, and lets you go one more day without a wash. Pretty much a must-have in your arsenal of products.
Dislike: Oribe Gold Lust Dry Shampoo – I feel like an Oribe traitor writing this, but I’m just not crazy about this product at all. It’s too heavy, doesn’t do what it should, and is pricey. Leave it be.
Like: Living Proof Perfect Hair Day Dry Shampoo – Smells powdery and delicious, a little goes a long way, and it truly gives me day 2 hair on day 3. Done.
7. CC Cream/BB Cream/Tinted Moisturizer: when you don’t need foundation, but you need a little sumpin’ to polish up your mug.
Dislike: Super Goop CC Cream Daily Correct – Very. very meh. Not hydrating, didn’t provide adequate coverage. Not worth your coin or effort.
Like: Dr. Jart+ Premium BB Cream – Amazing coverage, high SPF, and adds a perfect glow to your skin without any feeling of cakey or heaviness.
8. Hair Conditioner: you’ve got a bunch of options here, but think about the one conditioner that you consistently buy and mix/match it with your specialty shampoos.
Dislike: Ouidad Curl Quencher Moisturizing Conditioner – very heavy and left my hair greasy feeling and generally YUCK.
Like: Shu Uemura Color Lustre Brilliant Glaze Conditioner – it’s just the best thing ever. I’m a blonde, so I don’t need a color safe conditioner at all, but I love this one because my hair is left smelling delicious, shiny, manageable, and frizz-free.
9. Kids Shampoo & Conditioner: when your kid loathes getting their hair brushed AND is a girly-girl who has mastered the hair flip (I’m in big trouble), you invest in a great S&C.
Dislike: Honest Shampoo + Body Wash – “no thank you”, as #thelentil would say. It doesn’t smell terrific and has zero detangling capabilities.
Like: Beauty Counter’s Kids Nice Do + Not a Knot – truly amazing. Leaves hair tangle free, soft, shiny and weightless. I sometimes use it too and my hair is left pretty amazing.
10. Hair Treatment: with all the products, blow dries, straightening, curling, styling, undo-ing and more, sometimes you just need to pamper your locks with a little therapy.
Dislike: Oribe Gold Lust Transformative Hair Masque – again, Oribe – my love – you failed me with this product. It just didn’t do what I hoped it would, so am happy giving this a forever miss.
Like: Sachajuan Hair Repair – a huge sigh of relief for your hair. Smells divine, killed all frizz, and smoothed out the fuzzies from damage.